Getting traffic to your blog can be a challenge, if you do not know what you are doing. Using simple keyword strategies to get ranked in the search engines is the best way to get traffic to your blog.
Like a traditional business located on a side street that would get more business if it were on Main Street, your blog will get more traffic when you relocate it to the ‘main street’ of the Internet. Consider page 1 of the search engines as Main Street. Here are some simple keyword strategies you can follow to get more traffic to your blog by ranking higher in the search engines.
Simple Keyword Strategies to Get Ranked in the Search Engines
Simple Keyword Strategies #1: Use a Keyword Research Tool
Start your keyword strategy with the free Google Keyword Tool. People usually type in more than one word when doing a Google search, so look for two or three word phrases.
Target one main keyword per post and a few variations of that keyword to sprinkle throughout. When doing your keyword research, keep in mind that, although, it may be tempting to choose the phrase that gets 75,000 hits a month, those will have high competition and will be harder to rank for.
Try to carve out short phrases that are searched less and have less competition. I like to stick with more than 1800 searches a month. You don’t want to go too low because then it may not be worth your time.
Simple Keyword Strategies #2: Effectively Use Your Keywords Throughout Your Blog Post
There are simple keyword strategies you can put into place within your posts that will help you get more love from the search engines.
1. Permalink: You always want to make sure your keyword is in your permalink (the url to your post).
If you have not already done so, make sure to change your permalink structure to “custom structure” within your WordPress settings. Have your permalinks show your post name or category and then post name. For example, /%post% or /%category%/%post%, is what you want to type into the custom structure of your permalink.
2. Title: In using simple keyword strategies it is important to have your main keyword in your title. If you can make your main keyword the first part of your title, that’s even better. Try to also use your main keyword in your first sentence, your last sentence, and at least once in each paragraph. This may not always be possible, and that’s okay. You want your keyword placement to seem natural.
3. Density: Using good keyword strategies are different from spamming your keyword everywhere, because this will get you penalized by the search engines. You want your keyword density between 1 and 2.5%. You can just paste in your post and keywords and it will add them up.
These simple keyword strategies aren’t so hard, right? They are simple and effective. Let’s keep going.
4. Head tags: Another keyword strategy is to have your keyword in three head tags. Meaning, you want to make at least three subheadings in your post. For each of your subheadings, you want to use the h3, h2, and h1 tags. This is easily done in your WordPress. When you are writing a post, click on the paragraph setting and you will see a dropdown menu for the different headings.
5. Extra: Now that your keyword strategy is kicking and you have your main keyword or keyword phrase throughout your post, go and underline it once, italicize it once, and bold it one time. Then dress up your post with an image or two. But after adding your image, make sure and put your main keyword in the alt tag. When adding your image in WordPress, make sure and put your keyword for your alternative text. This will create the alt tag for you.
Simple Keyword Strategies #3: Use Keyword Plugins
The first keyword strategy plugin that is a must is WordPress SEO by Yoast. This is a free WordPress plugin that will allow you to put a title, description, and keywords into every post. You want to put your main keyword in the title and the description.
The second plugin that works awesome for these keyword strategies is the SEO Pressor plugin. This is my personal favorite at the moment. It is a paid plugin, but I felt it has saved me a lot of time and was worth every penny. It basically checks everything in your post and gives you an SEO grade. Then it also tells you what you need to add to raise your score.
If you are new to blogging and SEO or ready to take your SEO to the next level, I would highly recommend Predatory SEO. It is filled with everything you need to know to make sure your blogging business is off and running!